Sunday, October 26, 2008

With Andy at Santo Spirito

After the group left Santa Felicita, we made our way through the maze of streets in the Oltrarno to the church of Santo Spirito, which I had been to once before.

On the way there we encountered this little pug in a store's window. With the curtain behind him he looked like he was going to put on a show. But he just stared at all of us gawkers for a minute, became bored with us, and disappeared behind the curtain. So, on we went.

Santo Spirito is a pretty large church and it almost looks like a gallery with its large number of works of art at all of the chapels along the periphery.


I made my way around, took some pictures (even though I already took more than enough the first time I was here), and then sat down while the art history nerds took their time and played games like the "Let's guess the artist and date before we look at the little sign" game. Always a hit a parties.

And they looked some more.


And they looked some more.


Finally, as they were winding up, I went around and took even more pictures. Here is Sarah leaning suspiciously in the eastern aisle.


Here is my favorite work of art from the church, and perhaps the entire city.


Just kidding. But I do really like this little guy. I think he was a He-Man villain.

After the church we all stopped at a little sadnwhich shop directly across the street from Santo Spirito. It was pretty good. I decided to take a picture of the group since I probably wolfed my food down the fastest. Sarah saw me and flashed her prettiest smile.


After the food was all eaten we moved on to a gelato shop. I did not partake. Then we continued back towards the river. Along the way everyone decided to pose next to a fountain. Check out Clark. He's puttin' the vibe out.


Sarah can't resist Clark's mojo and runs across the street to join him. Meanwhile, Tom is too cool for school on his side of the street and Dan almost gets hit by a car.


We crossed back over the Ponte Vecchio. You can see the Vasari Corridor in the picture above on the top right. This is where the protected corridor crossed the Arno from the Palazzo Vecchio to the Pitti Palace.


You can see all the shops along the bridge. There used to be butcher shops on the bridge.


Now it's all jewelry and souvenire stores and art dealers.


As the group broke up for the day Sarah, Kellin, and I continued to walk with Andy towards his hotel. On the way we had to stop and take pictures of the Duomo. It had been rainy most of the morning and the sky looked really cool behind the huge church.
Fin.

No comments: