Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Paris - part 4 (Chartres Cathedral, part 2)

Well I'm going to go ahead and apologize for this shoddy entry. This posting is about the outside of Chartres Cathedral and I must admit that I didn't pay too much attention to what Luke was telling us about the sculptures on the exterior because it was absolutely freezing and I was running around taking pictures, like I do.


Here is part of the town next to the church. It is a nice little town with lots of shops and eateries. And cold weather. But it might be nicer in the summer.


The group huddles around Luke searching for knowledge and warmth.


Here are the flying buttresses that make spaces of this size possible. For some reason the Italians don't like them. If their churches have them they are usually hidden within other architectural elements. But the French put them right out there for the world to see. Perverts.


I run as far away as possible to avoid learning anything from Luke's lecture.


Sarah is frozen while the rest of the class moves on.


So here are lots of people. Contact Luke for more information.


I think that the middle one might be St. Christopher. I don't think I would make a very good art history lecturer.


Sean and Kellin return to save the frozen Sarah.


Top secret door.


Chartres Cathedral's backside.


More of the town with the labyrinth in the foreground. I missed it, but apparently there's a labyrinth on the ground in the church. I guess it was too dark and it may have been covered by seats.




And the other side of the church.


Luckily I had just bought some gloves and a scarf for the trip because I did not bring any to Italy. This entire trip was cold and rainy. After the church, we had free time to walk around and find some lunch before we had to get back on the train to go to Versailles.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chris! I am SOOOO jealous of your travels! I hope you are enjoying every minute of it. I know that I am enjoying every minute of reading about your exploits!
Keep traveling!!