Monday, August 18, 2008

Day at the Market

One day, so long ago now that I forget when it was, Sarah, Kellin, and I went to the Mercato Centrale. I know it as the Central Market. It was great. Vendors had all kinds of stalls selling a multitude of delicious-looking items. A lot of the produce was cheaper than it normally is in the grocery stores and it was fresher. Sarah and Kellin did the shopping. I was just along to watch and take pictures.


Sarah and Kellin scrutinize every vegetable and wheel of cheese. Then they viciously barter for the best deals. I think. It was all in Italian.

The market had many fruit and vegetable vendors. One of them gave Sarah a piece of a peach to try to win her business. It worked. He then gave me the rest of the peach so I felt obliged to eat it. I had a sticky hand for the rest of the trip. The frugal businessman above did not have to rely on free samples. His large melons attracted everyone.

There were also butchers offering all kinds of meats. More on that later.


We did not spend any money on wine during this trip, but the set-up was tempting.


We purchased large amounts of cheese. They gave us sample here too. It was delicious. Usually, as long as you seemed likely to buy something the vendors were more than willing to give out samples. On a side note, an acquaintance of Kellin made these green bags that we take everywhere. They're great. They have a little pocket on the inside that you can keep change in or something, but they are really so that you can stuff the bag into its little pocket when it is not in use. Quite convenient. Moving on...


I was intrigued by the whole, plucked chickens, but not intrigued enough to buy one. Disturbing. But not as disturbing as...


An entire box full of chicken feet. Why not? Who doesn't want to come home at the end of a long day at work, go to the fridge, and take out a nice chicken foot to gnaw on. I tell you, the only thing more comforting than a chicken foot to gnaw on is the knowledge that you have an entire box of the delicious things waiting for you.


Tripe. Enough said. We bought seven. I'm wearing on right now.


We decided not to buy any brains. We have plenty. We've been in college for about twenty years.


Kellin decides how many boxes of chicken feet to buy while Sarah tries to order a monkey. I can't wait to go back to the market.

1 comment:

Amy said...

That was the funniest post yet. You are a hoot! We all miss you! Cathy Simonson just asked how you were. I said that you are well but always hot. haha. I didn't know what to say. I saw Wheeler two nights ago...LOVE HIM! He still doesn't have a job but I think he has a really goood lead. I went to a library conference (because I'm THAT cool). You can read about it in my blog. Hope you are having TONS of fun!! :) QUE?