Friday, August 8, 2008

Venice - part 3

Despite my constant whining about my feet hurting we continued to run around Venice trying to see as much as we could. Fighting long lines, wave after wave of tourists (I like to pretend like I wasn't a tourist), and confusing alleys that didn't seem to match the map, we did a pretty good job of making the most of our two and a half days.


Another shot of the Grand Canal, this one from the base of the Rialto Bridge. We sat along the canal while the waves lapped up against the steps that descended into the water. It is such a relaxing sound. I would love to go back in the off season when there aren't so many tourists.

This is me looking confused in our hotel. It was an interesting place. Sarah thought that it was actually a brothel. All of the rooms had interesting names.

We stayed in the Love Room where we watched the Love TV. I just loved the air conditioning.


I think it was on our second day that we went out to San Giorgio Maggiore. This island is entirely taken up by a Benedictine Monastery of San Giorgia that was established in 982. The church was designed by our good friend Andrea Palladio. The picture above shows a view of San Giorgio Maggiore from the campanile at St. Mark's.


The monks lay down the law.


Sarah taking pictures from San Giorgio Maggiore's campanile.


A cruise ship comes through, dwarfing everything around it.


Sarah with her favorite lion. It is the one that she put on her Web page.


Oh, by the way, the lion is not at San Giorgio Maggiore. I've kind of adopted a random approach to these Venice postings.


This is the Fenice Theater. It is an opera house in Venice. Sarah stayed right next to it when she was here for a week with her SCAD class. It was completely destroyed by a fire in 1996. John Berendt, author of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, also wrote a book about the Fenice and Venice called The City of Fallen Angels.


Sarah warned me that Venice is not known for its cousine. We ate out one night and I ordered a pizza that had potato on it. This was not what I expected.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Does that pizza remind you of one of the last things that you saw before leaving America?

...at Tumbleweeds?