Friday, November 28, 2008

Malta - part 3

Our trip to Gozo ended in the town of Victoria. It is the largest city on Gozo with a population of 6,414.


Here is an aerial view of the city from Joey's helicopter. The coolest thing about the town, and the place where we spent all of our time, was the Citadel.


The church was interesting. I think it looked more like a theater than a church. But this was nothing compared to the one we would see the next day in Valetta.


The church has a trompe-l'oeil dome similar to the one we saw in Rome. I think it was at St. Ignatius. This one seems a little brighter though. Trompe-l'oeil means trick the eye. It's just a flat surface with a dome painted on it. They probably didn't have enough money.


This odd looking reliquary houses the bones of St. Lucidae, or something. You can see her ribs and various other bones through her clothes. Neat.


Here are some views from the walls of the citadel.


Some of the town outside of the citadel walls.


Sarah and Lara out at the edge of the wall, probably taking selfies.


Brad has me brainwashed. As soon as I looked down and saw these cannons I realized that I must have my picture taken looking into them. These cannons must be here in case the Gozitans get restless and decide to storm the citadel.


Some of the walls within the citadel. Everything looked so green there.


Sarah getting attacked by the wind. It was quite windy there. That is why my hair was so poofy. I wasn't trying a new look.


Brad's influence. My own style.


Sarah rides the cannon to victory. Or Victoria, while Steph, Lara, and Mary (and I) take pictures. We are very easily entertained.


Our bus technology is lightyears ahead of their's. At least they decorated it in Ohio State colors.


I really wanted to check out their lending library. I felt drawn to it. Oh well. The sign on the left shows a little bit of the interesting Maltese language that is a mix of Italian, English, Arabic, and Swahili. I think.


The inside of the buses we took didn't do anything to improve our impressions of them. Most of them sounded like they weren't going to last long. But, then again, they've been running since the 1940's so they might just keep going.
We took this bus back to Mgarr Harbour, our time with Joey having sadly ended. The ride back wasn't quite as exciting because it was pitch black out on the water.
Our journey would continue the next day in the capital of Valetta.

No comments: