Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Monday 6/30/08

Today we went to the library again. I have become quite content to just sit at the library all day. I know that it's kind of pathetic when there are so many things to see and do, but it's so hot and the library seems to have the best (if not the only) air conditioning around.
Sarah was telling me about our plans to go to Verona, Vicenza, and Venice (all in the Veneto region) next week. Apparently that was what she was doing instead of studying. She had all of our hotel arrangements made by the time we left around 6:00.
After dinner we went to the Piazza della Signoria (the one with David and all the other statues) to watch some ballet. The only reason I cared, other than the fact that I like to consider myself somewhat cultured, was because someone said there would be breakdancing.

We got there really early while everyone was warming up and just stood around. More and more people showed up behind us and kept pushing foreward. By the time the show started I was incredibly uncomfortable with the lack of room I had. Sarah, Kellin, and Lara were at the front along the railing. Dan was behind them. I was behind Dan with no room to move. Plus, there were short people behind me complaining that they could not see, so I spent almost the entire evening slouching or standing at angles so that they could kind of see.

The show was actually really cool. The way they mixed ballet with modern dance and breakdancing was impressive.

Actually, I really only cared about the breakdancing. They three main breakdancers were doing some amazing things. Hopefully Sarah will be able to put the videos she took on my camera on Youtube. Her name on Youtube is Schuylerbug. You can search for that name and find her videos. I think she only has one up for the dancing so far.

After the show we went to Angie's Pub to hang out. Actually, we just sat out on the street in front of it. It was fun. There were a lot of people out on our street even though cars were still coming on occassion.

However, scenes like this one are not uncommon. I don't know how there aren't 50 fatalities and car accidents a day in Florence, or any city like it.
I was kind of uncomfortable though because my ankle was really swollen for the first time since the swelling went down after I sprained it. When we went home I sat with my ankle raised and tried to sleep that way too. I didn't sleep very well.

No comments: